- Whole wheat pasta
- Bell peppers (2)
- Stewed tomatoes (one can)
- White onion (1)
- Most of one bag spinach
- 3 cloves garlic
- Mushrooms--fresh would have been better, but of course all we had laying around was canned.
- A metric buttload of shrimp.
- Some Italian seasoning.
Spoon over the pasta and serve with Parmesan cheese (if you like).
How to improve:
- fresh mushrooms!
- use raw shrimp--this would have give the dish more shrimp flavor.
- more tomatoes--probably another can would have been great. If not, a shot of tomato sauce or paste would have been good. You can use spaghetti sauce in a pinch, but that would make you a weenie in my mind, so don't.
A note about juice/sauces: I prefer to let the juices cook off (I tossed in juices from the tomatoes and mushrooms) to keep the flavor but have a less runny dish.
Shrimp is always a winner with out kids--they like it. One bad thing about cooking with shrimp is that it doesn't make good leftovers. Reheating in the microwave tends to overcook shrimp, leaving them tough. To avoid that, you could cook the them separately (in a little butter and garlic) and add them to the dish at the end. Other than that, this meal makes great leftovers.